Friday, September 18, 2009

Plaza Wall


This won't be the first or last time I say that I'm not fond of modern architecture. It's simply not my cup of tea.

But I won't say that I dislike the stark white marble-and-glass design of the Empire State Plaza. Perhaps it's because I grew up almost in its shadow and, since it was in its final stages of construction right around the time I was born, it just seems to me as if it's always been there. So I tolerate it, despite the fact I don't care for the architectural style.

This curving white wall stands on the eastern side of the Plaza's upper level - just opposite The Egg and near the the windowed structure that formerly housed The Sign of The Tree restaurant. The dark windows behind the wall are part of The Corning Tower.

The Sign of The Tree closed some years ago and nothing has replaced it yet, but tables and chairs sit and wait as if the restaurant were ready for diners.

The unadorned wall is quite in keeping with the rather futuristic look of the whole Plaza. I could easily imagine a scene from a sci-fi movie playing out on this little terrace, but at the same time, there's also something very ancient about the simple white contours.

No comments:

Post a Comment