Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Signs

Tucked in a quiet row of Lark Street businesses that includes a convenience store and a laundromat is a tiny place called Sam's Home Cooking.

It's an old-fashioned place with a lunch counter and a couple of tables along the wall. A few specials are posted on a small handwritten sign in the window. Not a place that gets written up in restaurant reviews, but appears to be a second home to a few regulars I always see when I pass by.

It's one of those places that has been there forever. Or at least as long as I can remember.

In the window, there's even a slot machine of fruit-shaped candies that are slowly fading from the sun.

Because it's so low-key and familiar, it's sort of faded into the background. And it was only a few months ago that I noticed the vintage sign - bearing the previous name - hanging above the entrance.

Oh, and I don't know how the food is...I've never met anyone who's eaten there.

No comments:

Post a Comment