Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I can see the resemblance...


I once read that the design for this building was inspired by a grapefruit half perched atop a cottage cheese cup during one of the meetings between the architects who designed the Empire State Plaza and Governor Nelson Rockefeller, the driving force behind the massive project.

I don't know if that story is true, mainly because I can't recall exactly where I read it. But I can certainly see the resemblance from the angle above.

The building is called The Egg and I can see that resemblance, too. It does look like half an egg, again, from certain angles. But, from other angles, it looks like a ship.

The Egg houses the Center For The Performing Arts. As a big lover of the arts in most forms, I'm very fond of this place and, since childhood, have seen many shows here...ranging from the pre-Broadway production of Raggedy Ann (a rather disturbing show that eventually flopped in New York), various magic shows to a truly lovely ballet, The Bluebird, presented by a Russian company during the height of glasnost to concerts by artists such as Robert Mirabal and some excellent Shakespeare.

Though The Egg was completed when I was four years old, it's such a familiar sight that, like the whole of the Plaza, that...to me...it seems like it's always been there.

1 comment:

  1. It is a bit different, that's for sure. And I kinda like it.

    ReplyDelete