Friday, August 14, 2009

Waves of stone


I've always liked this section of the Empire State Plaza. Not for any real reason. It's just a feature that, as a very little child, I thought was quite neat and my liking for it persists now.

These stony "waves" of alternating bands of black and white "cobblestones" are located near the north edge of the Plaza, just across State Street from the New York State Capitol.

I suppose that, like many other features of the Plaza, this bit of outdoor art has a title. No doubt there's a plaque somewhere identifying it and its designer. I haven't come across it, though. But I haven't really looked, either.

I seem to recall that, when I was small, the white stones were brighter and the black ones were darker. But, well, things do change with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment