Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Books!


First of all, I love books. A lot. And it would seem my inclination towards books goes back to babyhood.

Legend has it (well, not legend really, but I've always wanted to say that) that, when I was a toddler just old enough to speak and understand picture books...but not old enough to actually read...I was in the family car on Broadway and caught sight of a sign over a show. I pointed up to the sign and said, "Books."

That store still stands at the corner of Broadway and Hudson Avenue, part of a row of 19th-century buildings that once formed one of Albany's most active business districts. It's on the same block as the old Argus building which I've previously written about here.

And it's still open, though its hours are admittedly hit-and-miss. Often, there are racks of faded romance novels outside, even when the shop is closed.

I've been in there a few times, usually before or after a stop at the Starbucks just up State Street Hill or Coulson's News Center just up the block. It's my favorite sort of used book store...dimly lit, cramped, unimaginably dusty, piles of books on the floor along crammed shelves, titles ranging from the autobiography of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen to vintage Playboy magazines.

The windows are a good indicator of the inside. Copies of the Koran shares space with brittle newspapers from World War II, cookbooks, fairytales, histories, and record albums from the 80s.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to see what old romances are moldering away! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit this store. Looks like a place to find some really fantastic books. :) Next time I'm in NY, let's find it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, I didn't see too much in the way of Regency romances last time I was there, but I'll keep an eye open next time I get that far downtown.

    Shirley, be prepared to get very dusty. It's actually easy to find. Right near my beloved Albany bus terminal. If The Cat and I ever get this darned house in order, you're MORE than welcome to come up for a visit next time you hit NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this picture. I believe this was the same used bookstore that I used to go to in the 1960s, whose name I’ve been trying to recall. I believe this store was opposite the D&H Building on Broadway. As a budding bookworm I used to roam that Ali Baba’s cave of difficult-to-obtain used books, especially on the upper floor. Even though the Harmanus Bleecker Library was great, I indulged the joy of being able to own my own bookshelves of books, when used books were sold for a bargain price. After making my purchases, I would get a snack at Coulson’s, walk across the State St. intersection, and catch the Arbor Hill bus home. Did I see your name on the Facebook page/group named “Albany, NY Memories”? If so, this photo might be an interesting post for those of us of a certain age. Mike.

    ReplyDelete