Saturday, May 2, 2009
This impressive clock-topped building on Broadway south of State Street was is believed to have been built in the 1830s and expanded in 1871.
It was originally known as a "Law Building" and was home to both shops and lawyer's offices before becoming home to a very prominent newspaper, the Albany Argus. Founded in 1813 by noted agriculturalist Jesse Buel, it was one of America's oldest newspapers and remained in print until the 1920s. A large letter "A" once decorated the building before the clock was installed.
This old section of Broadway and the surrounding streets have a number of distinctive sites, including the ornate D&H Building and the former Hudson River Dayline office, the former Albany bus terminal, and what may be the oldest house in the city...many of which will appear in future posts.