Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did somebody spill a rainbow?


I guess we can file this one under "Random." While walking north on Lark Street this afternoon, I looked up and spotted these colorful splatters on the side of a building just past the intersection with Central Avenue.

Obviously, the bright, dripping colors weren't some painting mishap. They're too precise for that. But they are a very random and unexpected site and I haven't any idea why or how they were added to this otherwise ordinary building.

This bit of unexpected art does remind me of the murals that used to appear on some buildings around Albany during the late 70s or early 80s. I was quite young at the time so my memories of most of those murals are a little sketchy. The one I remember most clearly was at the corner of Lark and Madison, overlooking what is now the Dunkin Donuts parking lots. It was a trio of stylized silhouettes - stark white dancer executing leaps against a light blue background. The remnants of another mural showing plumbers at work still exists, fading and incomplete on Ontario Street.

1 comment:

  1. I love the title of your blog. :) And it does look like a rainbow just splashed down over that building. :) I am really enjoying your daily blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete