Thursday, October 15, 2009

Set In Stone

For some reason, I'm very fond of stone. Stone houses always catch my eye, whether they're simple early American fieldstone farmhouses or ornate Gothic mansions like Lyndhurst in the Hudson Valley.

And I like walking on stone...whether it's the old strip of flagstones that passes for a path in my backyard or the mellow cracked white marble sidewalk running through parts of Manchester, Vermont (the latter always reminds me of giant Ivory Soap flakes). Mind you, I'm the sort who wears hiking shoes every day so I don't have to worry about catching my fashionable high heels on rough paving blocks and twisting an ankle.

These stones are part of the main platform of the Empire State Plaza. They surround a black granite marker near the Plaza's north side, not far from the black and white cobblestone arrangement I've previously posted about (see Waves of stone)

No comments:

Post a Comment