Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Pot On Wheels

This one is just outside Albany in Watervliet, just north along the Hudson River. It's a large iron kettle mounted on wheels and it's parked just outside the Passanno Paint factory and store on 5th Street. The site was once an eight-building mill complex. Founded by one James Roy, the mill manufactured woolen goods, particularly shawls. My guess is that this rolling pot is a relic from the wool factory and was used for dying or otherwise treating skeins of wool. Of course, when I spotted it, my first thought was, "Hmmm, I could make a lot of soup in that thing."

1 comment:

  1. Paula, I ride my bike past the Passanno plant dozens of time a year, and I've probably seen that thing hundreds of times in the last decade, and yet I never NOTICED it. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete