This box for after-hours bank deposits is mounted in the wall of an old bank building at the southwest corner of Madison Avenue and South Pearl Streets. The most recent business to occupy this site was a Key Bank, but it has been closed for several years and was often the target of hold-ups.
This drop-box was made by the Mosler Safe Company. Mosler was founded in Cincinnati in 1867 and, until closing in bankruptcy in 2001, manufactured a variety of safes and vaults for the banking industry. Its products were so durable that several exported Mosler vaults survived the atomic bombing of Hiroshima at the end of World War II. They also manufactured the vaults housing the originals of the Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution.